Owners are so familiar with their pets normal behaviour that they often intuitively know when their animal is unwell.
If you have a gut feeling that something is wrong with your pet, go to your vet.
Remember that your furry companion does not show discomfort in the way that we humans do.
If an animal in the wild shows pain it would be eaten. Our pets are brave because they still carry the genetics of their wild ancestors. They are a lot tougher than us.
In this blog, I would like to emphasise specific medical conditions that may not appear significant to a pet owner, but can lead to serious consequences if not treated promptly.
- If your pets’ eyes become cloudy, swollen or squinty, they need immediate veterinary attention. These signs could indicate trauma, or eye disease like glaucoma that can rapidly lead to blindness.
- Ear canals should always be clean and free of odour. Foul smelling ears and brown or yellowy discharge indicate the presence of an ear infection and must be treated with antibiotic medication for several weeks.
- Poor dental health in our pets is a serious problem; dental infection is very painful and can lead to serious heart and kidney disease.
- Your pets coat should be glossy, not greasy or flaky. The latter means that your pet’s diet is lacking in proper nutrition. Allergies to plants, food or fleas can lead to severe itching, this self trauma can lead to breakdown of the skin, a vital organ to your pet’s health. When the skin becomes severely inflamed, normal skin bacteria, Staphylococcus, can spread rapidly creating a “hot spot”, that if not treated promptly can cause a bacterial blood infection and even death.
- Arthritis is a significant for our pets and is not limited to the aged. If your young dog is limping or your old dog is slowing down, it could be from joint pain. The best way to determine is in pain is to perform a pain treatment trail with you veterinarian. This involves treating your animal with an appropriate dose of pain medication for two weeks. If your pets’ quality of life improves in this time period, the test means that they are in pain. Appropriate tests such as Xrays or acupuncture should be undertaken.